Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Power Point--Easy As Making Peanut butter And Jelly





"The genius of it is that it was designed for any idiot to use. I learned it in a few hours."
--David Byrne
formerly of the Talking Heads


I've seen Power Point presentations given: My son's teacher has all their study guides in Power Point form--and Chris studies! At Open House, my daughter's teacher had a Power Point Presentation that explained the curriculum--so much more exciting than reading it in a pamphlet. My EDU teacher showed us what not to put in a Power Point presentation through a Power Point presentation--pretty clever. And then I learned how to make slides for a Power Point presentation...and play it like a slide show...for the whole class to see. Granted, it was on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich--I'm sure my classmates have witnessed more elaborate presentations, but, no matter, I did it! And I understand it, and now I'm confident that I can take this tool and use it in my classroom. I probably won't be showing slides on PB&J, but I can use it to introduce a lesson, sum up a lesson, for study guides, and to communicate with parents--just like at that Open House. If used correctly, Power Point can be an effective teaching tool. Just ask one of my classmates about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And, it's that easy.

2 comments:

  1. I also think students (especially middle school and high school students) would be more excited creating power points to present their ideas or research knowing everything that is possible with power point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job blogging about class!!

    ReplyDelete